Business Continuity Incidents: Johannesburg (SA), Victoria (Aus), Nottingham (UK) & Kansas (USA)


South African police arrest 9 in rioting near university


South African police arrested nine people during arson attacks and stone-throwing near a Johannesburg university where students have been protesting for free education, authorities said Saturday, and the government called for “violent campus protest to stop immediately.”

Two vehicles were set on fire in the overnight unrest, the national police said on Twitter.

Of the nine people arrested, two are students at the University of the Witwatersrand, also known as Wits, two are from other universities and five are not students, said Shirona Patel, a university spokeswoman.

A group of students started  fires on the campus on Thursday night, smashed windows, stoned buildings and flooded rooms.

In other violence, two buildings were damaged by firebombs at the Howard College campus of the University of KwaZulu-Natal, South African media reported Saturday

Read more here:
Read more on this business continuity incident here:



Victoria weather: Trees down, power out as high winds sweep across state

Damaging winds have lashed Victoria overnight causing blackouts and more damage to properties already affected by last weekend’s wild weather.

About 7,000 properties lost power after high winds swept across the state for the second weekend in a row.

Affected areas include Box Hill, Templestowe, Chum Creek and Toolangi, east of Melbourne.

Wind gusts of up to 100 kilometres per hour hit the Dandenongs while Melbourne Airport recorded wind speeds of 93kph and inner-city suburbs experienced winds in the 80kph range.

The State Emergency Service (SES) had more than 200 calls for help, mostly for fallen trees in Melbourne’s east and south-eastern suburbs, including 45 reports of building damage.

Many of those properties had already undergone temporary repairs after last week’s deadly winds, which claimed the life of a woman from Millgrove, east of Melbourne.

SES spokesman David Baker said it was not surprising those properties were affected again.

“We’ve had a lot of water, we’ve had a lot of wind over the last couple of weeks, so trees are pretty weakened at the moment,” Mr Baker said.

“Because we have trees that are weakened from previous storm activity it doesn’t take much to push them over.”

Last Sunday, thousands were left without power, more than 2,800 trees were blown down and more than 1,300 buildings were damaged in winds of up to 110kph

More on this Business Continuity Incident


Victoria Shopping Centre in Nottingham evacuated following a report of a suspicious package.

Nottinghamshire Police said the shopping centre was closed at about 5.15pm.

Army bomb disposal experts attended the scene but the cordons that were in place around the centre have now been lifted following an investigation into the suspicious package, which was deemed to be of no threat to the public.

Chief Inspector Mark Stanley from Nottinghamshire Police said: “We appreciate that evacuating such a prominent area of Nottingham city centre on a busy Saturday afternoon will have caused disruption to a good number of people and we would like to assure those affected that the decision to evacuate such a prominent area of the city is not taken lightly.

“The safety of the public will always be our first priority whenever reports of this nature are received and we would like to thank each and every one of those affected for their patience and cooperation while the relevant authorities worked to bring this incident to a swift and safe conclusion.”
Read more on this Business Continuity incident

Court Building Rain Damage to Court Building forces relocation of 50 staff

Rainwater has seeped into the building that houses the Kansas Supreme Court, causing extensive damage and forcing some employees to temporarily relocate.

The Kansas Judicial Center’s leaking roof, which was in the process of being fixed, was inundated by heavy rains on Sept. 13 according to the Topeka Capital-Journal ( ).

Appellate court spokeswoman Lisa Taylor says the most significant water damage occurred on the third and second floors. The Office of the Judicial Administration, which is housed on the third floor, was also damaged.

 Taylor said the building had some leaking prior to the flooding, and the project to reroof the center had begun this past summer.

Fifty people – including all seven justices, five of 14 court of appeals judges, their staffs and other court employees – were moved from their offices to other spaces in the building. A judge may share office space meant for one person with a research attorney and a judicial assistant.


More on this business continuity incident